PONNALA LAKSHMAIAH B.E., M.S (USA) Minister, Major Irrigation, Govt of Andhra Pradesh and Member of A.I.C.C

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

7 Aug 2005 ... RARING TO GO: Irrigation Minister Ponnala Lakshmaiah whistles at the ... This is the funny side of Ponnala Lakshmaiah, ................


The other side of Ponnala

S. Ramu



RARING TO GO: Irrigation Minister Ponnala Lakshmaiah whistles at the visitors before lifting the radial crest gates of the Nagarjunasagar dam on Friday.

NAGARJUNASAGAR (NALGONDA DT): He cheered up visitors by whistling with fingers and tried to steal the show with his infectious smile and ready wit. This is the funny side of Ponnala Lakshmaiah, Major Irrigation Minister.

The Minister was on cloud nine when water stored in the Nagarjunasagar dam was let out into the Krishna through 16 out of 26 radial crest gates on Friday.

The moment he reached the platform erected on the crest gates, he started talking to people who assembled on the dam. "Do you know my name? My name is Ponnala Lakshmaiah,'' he announced.

Skips puja

The Minister surprised officials by skipping the puja supposed to be performed before going on to the platform. A couple of cameramen missed the all-important event because they were waiting for the Minister to come to Nehru Children's Park where officials planned to perform the puja. After a brief interaction with the visitors, he went for a boat ride on the Tourism Development Corporation's Shanti Sri.

Later, addressing a press conference at the River View guesthouse at South Vijayapuri, he introduced himself to the reporters: "I am Ponnala Lakshmaiah. In foreign countries, I am called Lakshmaiah Ponnala, L.P., which means Long Play.''

"Generally, I don't remember that I am a Minister. When my personnel give me a handkerchief to wipe out my sweat, then I realise the fact that I am a Minister.''

The Minister asserted that he was not that happy when he operated the button to lift the gates. "I feel very happy when I see at the reservoir, which is filled with water. I lifted the gates with a heavy heart because I know that it would join the Bay of Bengal,'' he said.

TDP to blame

Blaming it on the Telugu Desam, he said: "Since they lacked foresight, we have to let the water into the sea. Had they taken up irrigation projects during their regime, the situation would have been different.'' He revealed that more than 800 tmcft water had gone waste in the last 20 days.

Source : The Hindu.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am G. Naveen Kumar Goud, 21 years old, I have completed B. com from Osmania University. I am a Blogger and ad publisher. I do ad publishing on the web and blogging - info containing persons, businesses, products and services. I am a web designer and do freelance works of websites.....